As humans, we all struggle with times of negative emotions and sadness. But if your discouragement, sense of hopelessness, and lack of motivation seem control your life, you might be depressed.
The World Health Organization estimates that 350 million worldwide struggle with depression, and many of them don’t get help. The symptoms of depression are often seen as signs of weakness or being out of control, instead of a signal that help is needed.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and think you might be depressed, Newport Beach Christian Counseling is here for you. We want to help you find healing, hope, and holistic wellness on this side of heaven. Our approach is based on our faith in Jesus Christ using effective therapeutic counseling techniques.
Depression is a burden you shouldn’t carry alone. If you’re looking for a depression counselor in Newport Beach
don’t hesitate to contact us today at (949) 668-0335.
Relief from Depression: Is it Possible?
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. – John 16:33
God is the great healer of broken hearts, and the giver of peace when we are troubled. Unfortunately, the physical and mental symptoms of depression can overshadow any hope you may feel. If you feel trapped in a lonely or empty place, Christian counseling for depression can help.
Am I Depressed?
Depression affects individuals in various ways. Some people may experience trouble concentrating and a sense of general sadness. Others feel crushed by the severity of their symptoms, even possibly leading to suicidal ideations. It’s vital to seek help right away.
Depression can appear suddenly and become severe quickly. Even if you’re experiencing only mild symptoms, addressing the problem early on is important.
Symptoms of depression include:
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Difficulty concentrating and memory problems
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in hobbies and low motivation
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Persistent aches, headaches, and digestive issues
- Thoughts of suicide
Despite how dark your depression, there is hope in God for healing and restoration. Christian counseling for depression will walk with you through this journey and help you overcome its challenges.
Types of Depression
Depression has a variety of root causes, and its presentation is based on the individual. Common types of depression have been classified to help describe more specific symptoms. Identifying the type of depression you have will be a vital step in your treatment plan.
For example, 10-15% of mothers develop postpartum depression. Major Depression is another type, and it severely limits functioning. It affects about 16 million adults in the United States annually.
Types of depression include:
- Major depression
- Persistent depressive disorder
- Bipolar depression
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Postpartum depression
- Situational depression
- Atypical depression
The depression counselors at Newport Beach Christian Counseling are trained and experienced in working with various types of depression. We work with each client to develop an individualized treatment plan that will best suit their story and needs.
Christian Counseling for Depression in Newport Beach
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ. – Galatians 6:2
This Scripture is our goal as Christian counselors. Some of us have personally walked through the darkness of depression, and whether we’ve experienced it or not, we want to walk alongside you on your journey to healing. Your feelings and emotions are important, and we want to help you regain hope.
Our therapeutic approach works with you at your own pace to facilitate movement out of the darkness towards the light of Christ. Your struggles and doubts will not be condemned. As client-centered Christian counselors,we will seek to understand your unique story and needs.
Can Therapy Cure Depression?
Counseling is a proven help for treating depression. 58% of clients respond well to treatment, and up to 40% say they are in remission after 16 weeks of secular counseling. With the holistic focus of Christian counseling, we aim for even better results. We are honored to act as vessels for God’s love, mercy, and healing.
These are a few of the benefits of receiving Christian counseling for depression:
- Learning how to build up your relationships.
- Receiving support through faith-based, proven counseling methods.
- Finding relief from physical, emotional, and spiritual symptoms.
- Learning how to express emotions constructively.
- Having a safe environment in which to express your thoughts and feelings.
- Identifying and dealing with the root causes of your depression.
- Learning how to control negative thoughts and behaviors.
God’s miracles aren’t limited to Scripture; He is still working today. As a faith-based association of counselors, we place a high importance on faith, prayer, and the study of God’s Word. We have seen firsthand the successful results of therapy for depression, and we are thankful to be able to witness how the Lord works in our clients’ lives.
Counseling for Depression: What to Expect
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Our primary goal at Newport Beach Christian Counselingis to provide support and healing for our clients in their time of need. Our methods are based on Christ as the foundation and include options catered to each individual, such as support groups, nutrition, exercise, antidepressants, and specific therapeutic techniques. We want to help you identify and understand your triggers so you can have a sense of control over your moods and behavior.
What are some things you can expect in Christian depression counseling?
- An environment that’s safe and compassionate, where you can share your story and come to a better understanding of yourself, others, and God.
- Faith-based recovery tools that can help you achieve lasting change.
- Skilled, dedicated professionals who will walk alongside you in your recovery process.
- Client-centered treatment methods that make your needs and values the priority.
How Depression is Treated
The treatment for depression varies based upon the individual, their type of depression, how bad their symptoms are, and what goals they want to achieve in their recovery. We emphasize the importance of prayer, Bible study, and faith in God’s grace, along with evidence-based counseling methods, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – CBT identifies the ways in which thoughts, emotions, and actions contribute to depression, leading to more successful management of harmful thoughts and behaviors. In CBT, your counselor will help you replace negative perceptions with positive, healthy ones.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy – IPT addresses conflict in your relationships, whether that be with family, friends, and/or romantic partners. In IPT, you’ll process the effects of your relationships and conflict on your depression.
- Psychodynamic Therapy – The goal of psychodynamic therapy is to understand the root causes of your depression based on your past life and relationships, with the goal of leaving self-blame and guilt behind. By understanding the causes of your depression and behavior, you’ll be able to move forward in healthier ways.
Depression can make you feel stuck, but it doesn’t have to be that way. The Christian counselors in Newport Beach are here to help. We want to see you set free from the chains of depression and living out your freedom in Christ.