Christian Chemical Dependency Counseling
Addiction to drugs or alcohol has serious ramifications for your entire life. Unfortunately, if you are struggling with a chemical dependency, the stigma surrounding it may discourage you from seeking help.
But that’s why we’re here. At Newport Beach Christian Counseling, we acknowledge that chemical dependency is not something you can simply “snap out of.” It’s a medical condition that requires professional treatment in a setting of compassion and grace.
Whether you are seeking help for yourself or for a loved one, Christian chemical dependency counseling is here to offer a safe and effective treatment plan.
Hope can seem out of reach for a life impacted by addiction, but we know that’s not true. Call us today at 949-6680-335 to set a risk-free initial appointment with one of our Christian chemical dependency counselors.
Solutions for Drug and Alcohol Dependency
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, ”I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12
For an addict or their loved ones, chemical dependency brings a sense of desperation, isolation, and hopelessness, but we want to encourage you that there is hope, even in this dark situation. We know that the only source of true hope and help is found in Jesus, and we seek to be like Him by providing a space where you can find healing and compassion.
You might feel like you’re chained to drugs and/or alcohol. In Christian counseling for chemical dependency, we can help you find the way of escape and walk with you in your recovery process.
At Newport Beach Christian Counseling, we provide:
- A dedicated approach to client-centered Christian counseling.
- High-quality service.
- Structured support for you and your family throughout the recovery process.
- A variety of resources to help you achieve your recovery goals.
- Counselors who are trained in chemical dependency treatment.
- An individualized approach to your specific needs.
How Do I Know if I Have a Drug or Alcohol Problem?
One of the most difficult steps in the recovery journey is admitting the existence and scope of the problem. Substance addiction painfully impacts both addicts and their families, and for healing to begin, it’s essential to recognize the effects substance abuse has on your life.
Because of the overwhelming physical, emotional, and spiritual nature of addiction, rehabilitation can seem impossibly daunting. Taking the first step involves a great deal of courage and honesty.
Finding strength in Christ through faith can powerfully help you during your journey of recovery. He is the source of the healing you need.
Signs and symptoms of chemical dependency include:
- Regular use of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Increasing need for substances to achieve the desired effect.
- Withdrawal symptoms upon decreased use.
- Lies related to the dependency.
- Conversational focus on drugs or alcohol.
- Withdrawing or isolating from family and friends.
- Feeling that nothing is enjoyable without substances.
- Risk-taking while using substances.
- Work performance being negatively impacted.
- Unable to change behavior despite its negative impacts on all aspects of life.
- Depression related to the use of substances.
It’s important to get help for chemical dependency as quickly as possible. Addiction has devastating effects on everyone it touches. Christian counseling for chemical dependency can facilitate the healing journey not just for individuals but for couples and families as well.
The Dangers of Chemical Dependency
For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. – Romans 7:18-19
It’s likely that you’ve tried to stop your addiction on your own. Maybe you’ve poured alcohol down the sink, determined never to drink again. None of us set out to become alcoholics or drug addicts, but once someone is entangled in the addiction, the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects that make it so entrenched also make it nearly impossible to defeat without professional help.
The Effects of Chemical Dependency on Health
Substance abuse is damaging for many reasons, not the least of which are the serious and far-reaching consequences it can have on your mind, body, and soul.
Some of the many physical effects of addiction include:
- Changes in brain structure and function, causing changes in mood and behavior.
- Heart damage, causing high blood pressure, stroke, and irregular heartbeat.
- Liver, kidney, and lung damage.
- Increased risk of some types of cancers.
- Increased risk of infection, skin conditions, and weight loss.
- Coma, seizures, and death.
Some of the many emotional and spiritual effects of addiction include:
- Anxiety and depression.
- Paranoia and psychosis.
- Anger issues.
- Isolation from loved ones and God.
- Struggles with issues of faith and morality.
- Confusing substance-induced thought and emotions with spiritual experience.
The Effects of Chemical Dependency on Relationships
Oftentimes, substance abusers seek camaraderie with other people who are addicted to the same thing(s). Their relationships with loved ones inevitably suffer, and at some point, the behavior is exposed and a realization of the extent of the problem begins to sink in.
A relationship in crisis often becomes the deciding factor for someone to seek Christian chemical dependency counseling. They may have been threatened with divorce or separation, or they have been confronted with the damage their addiction has done in some other way. For many, this is a strong inducement to get help. Substance abuse can destroy marriages, families, and careers.
Some of the serious problems chemical dependency can cause in families include:
- Irrational anger
- Mood swings
- Physical violence
- Verbal abuse
- Financial hardship
- Traumatized children
Sometimes, the spouse of an addict becomes codependent, trying to rescue them or enabling their destructive behavior. Codependent or not, the spouse will be severely impacted by the addiction. Marriages where addiction is present often end in divorce.
Effects chemical dependency can have on your partner include:
- Feelings of abandonment
- Intimacy issues
- Stress due to increased responsibilities and financial strain
Chemical dependency recovery is a multifaceted process that must address all of the areas of life and relationships that have been affected. Christian family counseling or Christian marriage counseling can help you walk through healing in your relationships after addiction. Full recovery necessitates both individual and family healing.
Christian Counseling Can Help You Overcome Addiction
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. – John 8:31-32
In Christian chemical dependency counseling, you will benefit from a faith-based approach to the recovery process. As we seek the Lord by faith, we can receive his healing and grace. At [Christian Counseling], we use a holistic approach, working both from our biblical worldview and from our experience and training related to addiction. In this way, you’ll have a support system and resources to help you succeed in recovering.
What Happens in Christian Chemical Dependency Counseling?
Seeking help for substance abuse is a courageous step. We do not judge or stigmatize those who are struggling with chemical dependency. We want to provide hope-based solutions for getting free of your addiction.
Our faith-based, client-centered counseling approach uses a variety of methods based on each individual’s situation and needs. We help those who are currently struggling or currently sober make a commitment to live an addiction-free lifestyle, and we provide the support you need to make that possible.
What will you receive in Christian counseling for addiction?
- Help getting sober and staying sober – You’ve been on a destructive path that can ruin both your life and your relationships. Our skilled counselors will work with you to make your sessions as effective and healing as possible. We also work in tandem with your physician and family to give you a holistic support network and safety net.
- Education about addiction – Chemical dependency is not a simple problem; it is deeply rooted in past experiences, trauma, and/or mental health conditions, including depression and mood disorders. Understanding the root of your addiction can help you learn coping mechanisms that do not rely on the use of substances.
- Guidance and support for your family – As we have discussed, addiction always impacts families as well as the addict. We offer support and education for your family as they walk with you on your recovery journey.
- A safe place for self-discovery and growth – Faith-based counseling for chemical dependency focuses on the love of Christ and the healing he offers, not on condemnation for your struggles. Our counselors are compassionate and supportive.
- Support for building a stronger relationship with God – Only God can provide true spiritual healing, and we desire to help you find or renew a relationship with him through his Son Jesus Christ. Fighting chemical dependency in his strength will be an integral part of your healing process.
If you feel enslaved to your addiction and you have lost hope, we are here to help you find freedom. We have helped many of our clients recover from their addictions, as well as supporting them to prevent relapse. Christian chemical dependency counseling provides the support you need to heal from addiction and to reach for hope.
You can be freed from addiction. Contact us today to schedule your risk-free initial session*.
To learn more about Christian chemical dependency counseling or to schedule an appointment, we welcome you to contact us online or call us at 949-6680-335.