Christian Couples Counseling
“How to fix a relationship” is a popular search engine term today. There are so many people who deeply desire a healthy, satisfying relationship, but this can seem like a dream just out of reach since any number of serious problems can keep a relationship from thriving.
Christian couples counseling offers practical, faith-based solutions for couples working through difficult issues.
Newport Beach Christian Counseling provides Christ-centered relationship guidance for couples.
Don’t hesitate to contact one of our couples counselors listed in our counselor directory or give us a call at 949-6680-335.
Focus Areas for Christian Couples Counseling
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. –Ephesians 4:31-32
What is our purpose for Christian couples counseling? We want to help you build your relationship to be healthy and God-centered, which requires commitment from both partners to seek forgiveness, mercy, and redemption through Christ.
The Christian counselors at Newport Beach Christian Counseling are here to help you walk the journey of healing and growth. We combine our faith in Christ with our experience in counseling and knowledge of psychology.
Do We Need Couples Counseling?
How did you end up reading this page? It’s likely that you’ve been experiencing something in your relationship that led you here, and we’re glad you found us. The experienced team at Newport Beach Christian Counseling would like to help you develop and strengthen a Christ-centered relationship that can withstand the challenges of life.
We view this statistic as a sign of hope: 93% of God-centered couples say they are happy in their relationship. We want you to be one of those couples.
So, how do you know if you need couples counseling?
Most relationship problems aren’t what many consider breaking-point issues, but instead a buildup of hurt and miscommunication. Most of us have been there at some point – struggling to find solutions for conflicts that make you feel unheard, angry, and without hope.
1. You have communication problems.
Contrary to popular belief, counseling isn’t just a last-ditch effort to save a marriage. It’s important to weed out issues before they get to that point. Couples often reach a state of quiet desperation due to years of built-up hurt and miscommunication, even if they don’t have any “obvious” problems in their relationship.
If you’re feeling that your voice is not heard, or you have a sense of hopelessness or anger, we will help you develop healthy communication skills so you can share needs and concerns.
2. There’s been infidelity.
This is one of the most severe issues a couple can experience. If there is a past or current affair, whether it’s emotional or physical, it’s vital to get help as soon as possible. Infidelity doesn’t happen in a vacuum; it’s often a symptom of deeper issues that are difficult to resolve without professional assistance.
3. You’re experiencing a lack of emotional intimacy.
In quietly difficult relationships, one or both partners may feel alone and misunderstood. Lack of emotional intimacy isn’t something minor; it can lead to relationship-ending problems. Rest assured that this is worth addressing. Emotional distance increases the risk of conflict and affairs. In Christian couples counseling, we strive to help you connect with each other and with God.
4. There are damaging behaviors in your relationship.
The presence of stress in a relationship often opens the door to destructive conflict and harmful behaviors. Often, these conflict patterns and behaviors are rooted in deep-seated childhood issues, which are difficult to resolve without professional help. We want to assist you in breaking the cycle of damaging behaviors.
Helping Couples Grow in Godly Relationships
And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. –Colossians 3:14
What’s the key to experiencing a loving and God-centered relationship? We believe that it’s to bring your cares, hopes, and battles to the Lord and seek peace and fulfillment in His boundless love and grace.
It’s easy to forget that we need to rely on the Lord by faith in the midst of stressful, overwhelming relationship difficulties. In Christian couples counseling in Newport Beach, you’ll be encouraged to reconnect with your faith and with the Lord himself. We will offer proven couples counseling techniques that will help you develop healthier habits that foster wellness in your relationship.
What Can Couples Counseling Do for My Relationship?
We will do everything in our power to help you achieve healing and growth in your relationship. We derive our holistic approach from evidence-based counseling methods and faith in Christ to seek whole-person wellness. It’s not enough to solve relationship problems; we want to offer you hope in Christ and see you fully equipped to handle the challenges that come your way as a couple.
According to couples who participate in couples counseling, 65% report “significant” improvement in their relationship as a result.
Here are a few of the benefits of couples counseling:
- Achieving healing as you gain a new perspective.
- Putting an end to destructive conflict and behaviors.
- Improving communication and intimacy.
- Breaking down emotional and psychological barriers between the two of you.
- Cultivating the intrinsic strengths of your relationship.
The experienced marriage and couples counselors at Newport Beach Christian Counseling possess the skills to help you find genuine, long-lasting solutions, even if you feel like your situation is desperate.
What Should I Expect in Couples Counseling?
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. – Romans 12:17
The most succinct explanation of couples counseling is that it offers professional, unbiased perspectives and guidance to help couples overcome struggles they have not been able to resolve. Perpetual conflict can result in a “stuck” feeling, especially if it involves harmful, destructive behaviors.
When you feel trapped in a seemingly endless cycle of hurtful words and actions or emotional withdrawal, Christian couples counseling is here to help you find faith-based ways to handle hurt and conflict.
Does Couples Counseling Work?
We wholeheartedly believe in the efficacy of Christian couples counseling to bring hope-filled, enduring change in couples facing desperate challenges. You might feel that your problem is either too small or too large to merit counseling, but this is not the case; we have worked with many couples facing a variety of challenges, and we want to share both hope and solutions.
Couples surveyed at the conclusion of their counseling experience reported 75% more relationship improvement than similar couples who did not receive counseling.
Couples counseling techniques vary based on the situation. Your counselor will work with you to determine the best method for you.
Here are a few of the most common couples counseling approaches:
- Gottman Method: This method is based on the concept of “love maps,” which reveal each partner’s fears, stresses, hopes, joys, and history. Each partner is led to a deeper understanding of and appreciation for the other. Healthy conflict management skills are also taught.
- Crucible Approach Couples Counseling: This method seeks to rebuild sexual intimacy based on an individual approach for each partner. This method identifies problem areas and offers tailor-made solutions to overcome hindrances to intimacy.
- Emotionally-Focused Couples Therapy: This approach sets big, short-term goals that seek to overcome damaging emotional responses, build a closer emotional connection, and learn how to communicate constructively.
- Narrative Therapy: In this approach, each partner will describe his or her own experiences in the form of a narrative, compartmentalizing the problem from the individual and allowing for freedom of expression without hurt or labeling. With the assistance of your counselor, you’ll jointly retell the painful parts of the story, with the goal of finding genuine solutions to build the relationship that both of you desire to have.
- Psychodynamic Approach: Childhood issues and past experiences can have long-lasting and often detrimental impacts on one’s future relationships. This counseling approach seeks to understand those issues, among others, that have led to irrational patterns and harmful behavior, in order to bring about true, lasting change.
At Newport Beach Christian Counseling, we offer each individual what they need in order to achieve relationship recovering. It can be very difficult to work through what needs to happen for a relationship to thrive, but the rewards are immeasurable and can lead to growth we could never have foreseen.
To learn more about Christian couples counseling or to schedule your risk-free initial session*, contact us today.